Faith Family Friends

Celebrating the Joy of Living & Home Making ~

Baking, Cooking, Decorating, Tea Time, and taking Inspiration from those I love and the world around me...

A sharing of my heart and my home from a Christian perspective

...with a wee bit of whimsy added.

Wednesday 19 December 2012

HOME



A Very Happy Christmas to you all!
Hello dear friends and welcome to my last HOME party before the holidays!


"Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and a talk beside the fire: it is the time for HOME." ~ Edith Sitwell


I bet you're counting down the days till Christmas just like I am.  
It has been such a busy week for me and all day yesterday I had computer woes so it really threw a wrench into preparing my HOME post for today. Therefore, my lovely friends, I won't be featuring anyone's post today. I'm so sorry about that because I know some of you really enjoy the features. 


Today, I would like to share a couple of recipes with you. So please come in and join me for a cup of something hot and a piece of my home made fruit cake.




"There's more, much more, to Christmas
Than candlelight and cheer;
It's the spirit of sweet friendship
That brightens all year.
It's thoughtfulness and kindness,
It's hope reborn again,
For peace, for understanding,
And for goodwill to men!" ~ Author unknown




For you teacup lovers out there, the teacup is made by Royal Stafford in England; established in 1845.

Do you like my new teapot? It is Bella Casa made by Ganz. It is an early Christmas gift from my son and his family. I think it's so pretty with the holly teacup.




The darling tea towel you see beneath it is made of linen and came from Ireland. I love the Christmas robins on it!


You know that I have a love for our little feathered friends and our son is in Wildlife Conservation so he can identify and enjoys talking about the birdies with us.

Speaking of my son, he sees his surgeon tomorrow for follow up after his surgery. We are praying for good results and I will keep you posted.

I made these fruit scones for our tea this week and they are just the thing with a cup of tea or coffee. I will share the recipe below as I had a few ladies ask me for it. 



Fruit Scones

2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/3-1/2 cup shortening
1 cup mixed fruit {the kind you use in fruit cake}
1 beaten egg added to
2/3 cup milk

Mix first six ingredients together and cut in shortening. Add fruit and mix in. Add egg with milk and stir until a soft dough forms. Gently knead on a lightly floured surface. Roll out thick and cut out scones with a glass. Brush the tops with milk and sprinkle with a little sugar. Bake in 450 degree oven for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned.

Drizzle with icing when hot from the oven.

Icing
1 cup sifted icing sugar
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 TBSP milk





Almost every year for Christmas, I make fudge, Peanut Brittle, and Almond bark. Today I will share my recipe for Peanut brittle.



It makes great hostess gifts and sweet little packages for family and friends.




One of my son's music teachers enjoyed receiving it at Christmas-time. He always told me it was his favourite confection and he looked forward to receiving it every year. Rich and creamy, it is filled with peanuts and oh, so buttery good!


Peanut Brittle

Grease a baking sheet.
In a saucepan, combine:
1-1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup water

Heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves. Then bring to a boil and continue cooking until it reaches the hard crack stage {300 on candy thermometer} or until a few drops in cold water separate into hard, brittle threads.




Remove from heat and stir in
2 TBSP butter
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 cups salted peanuts

Quickly pour onto prepared baking sheet.



Cool and break into pieces. Enjoy!



"Gifts of time and love are surely the basic ingredients of a truly merry Christmas." ~ Peg Bracken


This is my little teacup tree which I added Baby's Breath to. The wee rocking horse was a gift from my middle son when he was a little boy.




I am so happy you have joined me at HOME today and I do appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment as I love hearing from you!

Now that my shopping is done and my baking is finished, I'm going to curl up on the couch and watch some Christmas movies. The big day will be here before we know it.


Thank you for making my HOME party a joy to bring to you each week. I hope you will plan to join me in the new year too.

Let us remember to pray for those dear souls in CT who lost their loved ones last week. May God comfort them and give them peace in their time of trial.

Merry Christmas from my HOME to yours! God bless you and your loved ones!


"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men." ~ Luke 2:14


"The greatest Christmas gift of all
Was never placed beneath a tree,
But lay within a manger
Beneath a star, for all to see." Unknown


I am joining the following parties as well~

Home and Garden Thursday ~ http://blissfulrhythm.blogspot.com/
Tea Cup Thursday~ http://missspensersblog.blogspot.com/
Share Your Cup Thursday~ http://jannolson.blogspot.com/
Cottage Style Linky Party~ http://lavendergardencottage.blogspot.com/
Tutorials Tips and Tidbits ~ http://www.stonegableblog.com/
Home Sweet Home~ http://thecharmofhome.blogspot.com/
Open House~ http://bernideensteatimeblog.blogspot.com/
 


Sharing from my heart~ Sandi

25 comments :

  1. Merry christmas, Sandi!
    What a darling little tree. It looks so sweet snuggled inside your pretty tea cup!
    Have a lovely day, my sweet friend!
    Blessings,
    Carolynn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your peanut brittle recipe looks easy and delicious. How lovely to use your Christmas china.
    Happy holidays to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas ,Sandi!!

    Love this sweet post!!

    Thanks so much for hosting!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very festive. I like your new teapot very much. I also like the way the fruit cake co-ordinates with the china!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful christmas post Sandi.
    I am making fudge.
    Your peanut brittle looks great.
    love your cups and your new teapot.
    Wishing you a very happy blessed christmas Sandi.
    Thankyou for passing by my blog.. its always great to hear for you..
    val x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandi, I love your pretty new teapot! You have the most sprecial tea things. Your peanut brittle and scones look wonderful. Thank you for sharing and for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Sandi,
    That just might be the prettiest Christmas teacup I have ever seen.
    The teapot is wonderful too. A very thoughtful gift from you son and family.
    I love the robin red breast towel and now we know the story of his significance from Ruth at Antiques and Teacups.
    I can't believe you made your own fruitcake. It looks like a pro did it.
    Fingers crossed for your son, Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandi, I love your christmas teapot and teacup! The scones and peanut brittle sure looks yummy, I have never cared much for fruit cake but yours just might tempt me to eat some. Have a Very Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas Sandi. Thank you for sharing so much of your Christmas decorations and special treats. A very happy post.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sandi, Today I'm running errands but tomorrow I will be nesting with a good book in front of the fire (that is, after I blow the snow) - you see, we are to get a blizzard tonight into tomorrow.
    I really like your teacup and your new teapot. Your little tree is precious, and your peanut brittle sounds good. I've never made it. I tend to stay away from things I have to use a candy thermometer for! lol However, I am going to try toffee this year.
    Christmas blessings, and thanks for all you do to lift spirits - you are such an optimistic, compassionate soul!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Sandy, your post is like being there with you and I wish I could be! Your teapot is so beautiful. The food looks delicious! I would weight 500lb if I lived near you! I am going to try to make the recipes you shared. I will let you know how they turn out! The best thing about your blog is the scripture you share. Therein lies such power and peace. Thank you.

    Linda @ The French Hens Nest

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Sandi, for hosting. That peanut brittle looks wonderful. Merry Christmas to you and your family..Hope your week is going well so far..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Merry Christmas!!!
    Lovely photos!
    Just copied your brittle recipe,
    will give it a try before Christmas.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Maki

    ReplyDelete
  14. Merry Christmas Sandi:
    Your fruit cake looks so pretty and delicious and I love your new Christmas tea pot and cup and saucer. Auntie P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sandi,
    What a lovely new Christmas teapot and your teacup matches perfectly! Its so wonderful when family members know what we want! My sister gave me a Johnson Bro's Friendly Village teapot for Christmas this year. I am so excited! Thank you so much for the recipes. I will be making both for the holidays. Merry Christmas to you and your family.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sandi, another new tea pot? Your family is so good to you, buying tea things for your collection.
    I have a weakness for peanut brittle, the last time I made it, I ate almost the entire batch! It does make a nice gift in a bag with a bow.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Sandi,

    I have enjoyed many of your beautiful presentations in the last year. I am a full-time novelist, and after typing words, words, words, all day long--it is such a delight to enjoy all the visual treats you offer. Thanks you today especially for the scone recipe. I love your teacup tree and can't wait to make one myself.

    Merry Christmas to you and those you love! Jesus is the reason for the season.

    Kay Moser
    www.kaymoser.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Sandi,
    Yes, the big day will be here before we know it. Your new tea cup is precious. Hope your son gets good news. The fruit scones sound and look very yummy. I use to make peanut brittle like that but now I always do the microwave method. No one really loves it but me. I usually always eat most of it. Haven't made it yet this year. Still trying to decide whether or not I will. Thanks for hosting and a very Merry Christmas to you my friend!
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi sandi , went looking for your blog to tell you that I hadn't forgotten about your son. He has been in my prayers.
    A lovely post as usual. God bless. Will be waiting to hear or read ....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Sandi,
    alas I have no post to link in. But I enjoyed my visit so much. The new tea pot is charming and matches wonderful to the tea towel and the tea cup. And how nice is this cake with reds and greens inside. That looks so happy together with the china. I always enjoy to see your teasettings and to read your wonderful poems and quotes. I wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas and for your sons health the best wishes, too.
    Seasonal greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for the peanut brittle recipe! I've never made it before and will make some this weekend. Merry Christmas:@)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Sandi,
    What a beautiful Christmas teapot and R.S. teacup! Love the christmas tree in the teacup. Thanks for sharing your peanut brittle recipe. Looks delicious!
    Merry Christmas,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your teas are very pretty. I love the fruit scones and it wouldn't be Christmas without making a favorite candy. We made caramel corn this week too. Have a very Merry Christmas and thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your peanut brittle looks amazing. I have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this with everyone. It runs from Wednesday through midnight Sunday. Here is the link to the party.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/12/6-crafts-and-recipes-and-wednesdays.html
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Sandi....I'm not a fan of baking and cooking but I think I might try these with the kids over the holidays. And want to wish you and your family a beautiful Christmas....fun, safe and filled with Sonshine. Hugs to you from my heart to yours....

    ReplyDelete

I am delighted to have you visit me and I read every comment. Please forgive me for not being able to visit you all as there are so many of you lovely bloggy friends now. I will visit as much as possible. I wish you a day filled with JOY!

Also, due to the amount of spam I've been getting, I have had to set Comment Moderation. ~ Sandi

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.