Faith Family Friends

Celebrating the Joy of Living & Home Making ~

Baking, Cooking, Decorating, Tea Time, and taking Inspiration from those I love and the world around me...

A sharing of my heart and my home from a Christian perspective

...with a wee bit of whimsy added.

Friday 8 January 2016

Tea with Anne ~ That's Anne with an E!


The beauty of winter is that it makes you appreciate spring. ~ L.M. Montgomery 


Springtime, oh yes, I'm already thinking about it!

Welcome dear friends and kindred spirits! I hope your new year is off to a delightful start. 

As I was pondering what to share this week I thought about Anne of Green Gables. I've been thinking about her a lot lately. 



I suppose it's because I remember one New Years Eve my hubby, our youngest son who was eight years old at the time, and me curled up in the family room with some munchies to watch the Anne movies. That was a wonderful way to welcome in the new year. It's one of those lovely memories of when my children were growing up.



Have you seen the Anne movies or read the books? If you haven't then you are missing out on a treat. I have all the books but I have only a couple of them in my post today.


Anne is our beloved heroine here on the Island and she is joining me for tea today. 



Most of you have seen the Anne doll that my father blessed me with his last Christmas. I cherish her and always think about Daddy whenever I look at her. My father knew of my love for Anne and he gifted me with two dolls actually but my porcelain Anne will join us today.

She is dressed in her best pinafore and a calico dress. A pert straw hat with matching ribbon sits upon her head which is of course a full crop of red hair braided into pigtails. She has green eyes and freckles sprinkled upon her nose and cheeks.



When Anne was a young girl she possessed great 'scope for imagination' and she loved to dream about what it would be like to be a grown up. Well, today we will enjoy a grown up tea with some treats left over from Christmas.

That is my Granny's pancake jug holding the ivy sitting behind the teapot. The jug is over a hundred years old.



My hubby gifted me with this teapot for my birthday. I'm sure Anne would like it too! I had admired this teapot for a few years and he decided to surprise me with it. It is adorned with an embossed snowflake motif which means I can use it until the end of March. What fun!

Won't you join me? I am having David's Tea Salted Caramel today and it compliments the Christmas treats, I think.

Today we will live in the moment 
unless it's unpleasant in which case 
we will eat a cookie. ~ Cookie Monster



That quote made me smile and I just had to share it. 


Life is worth living as long as there's a laugh in it. ~ Anne of Green Gables

One thing we can all agree on; Anne made us laugh! I am very blessed to have someone in my life who makes me laugh everyday. My hubby is such a clown and he loves to make me giggle. If I am upset or a bit down about something he will say, "Oh, there they are! I see your dimples!" Dimples really are my downfall at times. They're a dead giveaway when trying to keep a straight face.

I have set out three pretty teacups; one for you, one for Anne, and one for me. 



Colclough made in England


Another Colclough. I have two of these teacups. I had one and then the other I received from Nancy a couple of years ago.      

This teacup and saucer is Elizabethan. This is the Island's provincial flower; the Lady's Slipper.

Each cup of tea represents an imaginary journey. ~ Catherine Douzel

My treats are all home made. 



Donut bits, chocolate peanut butter bars, mincemeat tarts, sugar plums, and fruit cake. Please help yourself. 



"She had a good sleep that night and had awakened in the morning to find herself and the world transformed. It had snowed softly and thickly all through the hours of darkness and the beautiful whiteness, glittering in the frosty sunshine, looked like a mantle of charity cast over all the mistakes and humiliations of the past." ~ from LM Montgomery- Anne of Green Gables. 

Snow is like that. It covers all the ugly dried up leaves and brown grass making the earth appear as though a glistening white blanket had been flung down upon it making it fresh and beautiful again.

Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it. ~ LM Montgomery - Anne of Green Gables


It's kind of like the new year! There are no mistakes in it ...Yet! May we all use a little kindness toward others, use wisdom when we need it, talk less, listen more, and not waste a moment. 

Life is precious! 

Offer someone a smile even if you don't feel like it. It will make you feel better and it might just make someone else's day.

A smile is the best facelift. 

Make mistakes and learn from them and may we all be like a light in the darkness. 

God's mercies are new every morning and the next breath you take is a gift from Him so you should thank Him for it!

"Dear old world," she murmured, "you are very lovely, and I am glad to be alive in you." ~ Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery 


I'm so glad you are all a part of my world! I have made some very dear friends here in Blogland since I created this little blog of mine. I hope 2018 will allow me to keep sharing from my heart and maybe bring a little happiness or a smile into your day. 



Thank you for joining Anne and me today and the Lord bless you all!


The Lord bless you, and keep you; 
The Lord make His face shine on you,
...And give you peace. ~ Numbers 6:24-26



I am sharing this with the following parties as well~

Tuesday Cuppa Tea
 Bernideen's TTCG Blog Party
 Tea Cup Tuesday
 Share Your Cup Thursday
 Home Sweet Home


 Sharing from my heart ~ Sandi

31 comments :

  1. Such a sweet and wonderful post, Sandi. I so enjoyed your loveliness - Anne is dressed so perfectly, your treatgs are absolutleyover-the-top - and every piece of china- old and new makes this tea very special, indeed.

    Thank you for inviting us in and warming us all up on this cold and dreary grey winter's day! : - )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandi,
    I have read and loved all the Anne books too.Last year I watched Anne of Green Gables with some of our granddaughters ....we had raspberry cordial for a treat with our popcorn.
    You have lots of treats and pretty tea cups for us!

    Hope you have a healthy, happy New Year and keep those dimples showing!!!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently rewatched my Anne DVD's - all of them in fact - over a few days while baking. I may have told you this before but I had a friend (who passed away) and she used to put them on in the background if she was upset about something. She said she found it comforting. I so enjoyed your posting Sandi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A delightful tea with you and Anne, Sandi with lots of dainty treats to enjoy with our tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandi, what a lovely post, thank so much for sharing Anne with us. I am an avid reader, now and when I was young. I am sure I read these books, but will have to re-read them again.
    I had to chuckle,I was living with my Aunt during WW 2, and everyday I would wear my pinafore (cotton) over my dress to school and on Sunday I had a special one with lace for church. IT certainly brought back many memories for me. Aunt Nell lived in Virginia was very proper.
    Your tea and sweets look so good.
    Have a wonderful 2016.
    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love your posts about Anne...so charming! And how wonderful that you live where they books were set. And of course, I love the teacups!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely, pretty and Yummy post ! My mum years ago took a trip to Prince Edward Island on the Anna Green gables tour she loved it we both loved the books to . One day Papa and I want to tour PEI ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes! I have all the Anne books, even the short stories. It's time to reread them. My favorite "comfort" thing to do when I have a cold or don't feel well is to lay on the sofa and have a Anne of Green Gables marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sandi, I love this post. It's my absolute favorite. I too have good memories of watching Anne with my girls over the holidays.Hugs and wishes for a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that Lady's Slipper Tea Cup. I didn't realize that this was the Island's flower. It is so pretty.
    I read all Anne's books also. Nice stories.
    Have a great weekend Sandi.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of the highlights of our trip to PEI last June was a visit to the Green Gables site, and Cavendish Beach. I've loved Anne for years and years, long before the movie came out. I purchased two of the soft dolls for my granddaughters and hope to instill a love for Anne in them as they grow.
    Anne had great scope for imagination! I'm thankful for the many kindred spirits I've found through blogging.
    Your tea looks delightful and dainty, just the sort of thing that would appeal to Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet tea, Sandi! I'm also a huge Anne fan and read the books (the same editions on your photograph!) and watched the movies. Visiting Green Gables has always been on my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How well I remember so many of the little passages that you have printed. Now I want to see if I can find some Anne books and re read them all. I made some little cake stands with tea plates and saucers a year or two ago. They look so pretty when set out for 'proper afternoon tea' complete with china cups and plates. It is such a nice thing to be able to eat and drink from pretty china isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The doll is very pretty. I read the books in french. They are favorites of mine. Unfortunately, I never seen a tv series on French channels.
    Nice teacups. All the best for the new year. Helene

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, what a lovely post, Sandi! So many wonderful thoughts to ponder here...Love the Cookie Monster! lol What a gorgeous treats you've made. I always enJOY raising my teacup with you. Thank you always for visiting me, too, and leaving you sweet footprint! HAPPY WEEKEND!
    Linda at Beautiful Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sandi,
    Thanks so much for stopping by!!
    I have to admit that I have never read Anne of Green Gables. BUT I will be searching for the books at church flea markets and in other places. I plan to go back to one of the hobbies that I love- reading!!
    Have a great day. my friend!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Do you ever have signs telling you that you should or shouldn't do something?

    Well, I do and your post is telling me that I need to read Anne of Green Gables. It is my daughter-in-law's favorite series. The wedding was book themed and the table seating was by book title. The bride's first choice of books was Anne of Green Gables. At 11, she made her parents take her to Prince Edward Island so she could see it for herself.

    So, I'm off now to download the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Sandi! How I enjoyed your post about Anne! I have all of the books and seen the movies. Love them! Youe Anne doll is so cute and precious even so because it is from your Dad. Hubby,s gift of the white snowflake teapot is precious too! Thank you for thinking of me when you use the pretty Colclough teacup! I really like your Lady Slipper tea cup. We have alot of lady slipper plants growing wild here in northern Michigan! Your sweets look so pretty and delicious! I see you were very busy baking for the Christmas season! Last week I found a Anne teacup that is printed "kindred spirits" on the front, along with a picture of Anne and her best friend Diana. No saucer and no markings but I was so excited to find it at the thrift store for 49 cents! Wishing you a wonderful week!
    Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Sandi, great post! You know I am a big Anne fan. I have all the movies as well as all 7 seasons of Road to Avonlea. I never tire of watching them.
    Your homemade treats would have made Anne a very happy girl!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  20. What gorgeous treats. I love Anne of Green Gables. We read them many years ago, and the doll is precious. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your tea today with Anne as a the sweet hostess of your table is just precious, Sandi. The new snowflake teapot from your hubby is just perfect with all your pretty teacups. I have never read the books, my friend, but I saw the movie! You mean the world to me, too, Sandi, and I'm so glad that we connected as friends. Love and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have read all the books many times, seen the tv mini series several times including recently when PBS (I think) re-ran it. I was fortunate enough to visit your beautiful Island a number of years ago... (before the bridge) and visited all the "Anne" places. We stayed in an interesting B and B where a Rooster woke us up every morning. Not only did I enjoy all the Anne things but we also saw the Bottle House, the "miniature" castles and a folk concert at an ourdoor venue in Summerside. For all the time we were there we never made it into Charlottetown though. But a wonderful memory of it all. One quick memory... after we boarded the ferry to travel over to the island we were greeted by a young lady dressed as Anne. What a nice way to start our adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This was a nice post, Sandi. My youngest daughter dressed as Anne one Halloween and I still remember how she looked that day. I remember making the braids out of brownish red wool. She was 5 years old then...29 now. Time flies.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cute post - I love your "sweets" tray and your pretty tea cups!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful. Your tea parties are always so lovely. And Anne steals the show for me. She is beautiful. Thanks for sharing, Karie

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh how I love Anne of Green Gables. My grandmother gave me her copy of the first book when I was 13. I have cherished her ever since. When my girls were growing up they all read the series and we watched all the movies. Such wonderful entertainment and such a beautiful little red head.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear Sandi:
    This posting was featured on my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear Sandi:
    This posting was featured on my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Witam. Jestem z Polski. Kocham Anię z Zielonego Wzgórza od czasów dzieciństwa. Mam wszystkie książki. Mam też lalkę, porcelanową Anię i lalkę Dianę. Z zainteresowaniem przeglądałam Twój blog. Pozdrawiam serdecznie.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This was lovely.

    I don't know if I have mentioned it, but my son and daughter-in-law had a book themed wedding last July. Rather than table numbers, the tables were book titles. Aylin's favorite childhood books were Anne of Green Gables. She even made her parents take her on vacation from California to Prince Edward Island so she could view the setting of her favorite novels. Joshua and Aylin each chose 3 book titles for the tables and of course, Aylin's extended family sat at Anne of Green Gables.

    And now, I need to read the series.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I forgot to add, Thanks for Sharing Your Cup!

    ReplyDelete

I am delighted to have you visit me and I read every comment. Please forgive me for not being able to visit you all as there are so many of you lovely bloggy friends now. I will visit as much as possible. I wish you a day filled with JOY!

Also, due to the amount of spam I've been getting, I have had to set Comment Moderation. ~ Sandi

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.